Get an extraordinary taste of all Nelson Tasman has to offer, by biking the Great Taste Trail.
Experience the region’s towns, ride past orchards and vineyards, sparkling coastlines, rivers and hill valleys. It’s called The Great ‘Taste’ Trail because of the incredible diversity of experiences you sample along the trail.
You will traverse the edge of internationally significant coastal estuary systems, home to a number of rare bird species. Meander along Rabbit Island’s beach front, and drink in spectacular views of the coast, the mountains and Tasman Bay. Along the way you can pay a visit to the world-renowned Abel Tasman National Park, that is just the scenery!
The trail also lives up to its name with opportunities to refuel on quality coffee, real-fruit ice-cream, cafés and restaurants as well as offerings from famous local craft breweries and award-winning wineries. Some of these are trail-side, and others slightly off the trail, but make for fun exploring if you have the time.
This is a New Zealand Great Ride, 174km long, with two thirds being off-road trails. You can choose a section or two and head out for a couple of hours, take the whole day, or enjoy a multi-day biking adventure.
Coastal sections are graded 1-2, and are largely flat, easy riding. There are a few more challenging grade 3 sections in the hill valleys.
Approximate riding times (excluding stops):
- Nelson to Richmond - 1 to 1.5 hours
- Richmond to Mapua Ferry - 1 to 2 hours
- Mapua to Motueka - 1.5 to 2.5 hours
- Motueka to Riwaka - 0.5 to 1 hour
- Riwaka to Kaiteriteri - 0.5 to 1 hour
- Riwaka to Woodstock - 1.5 to 3 hours
- Woodstock to Kohatu - 1.5 to 3 hours
- Kohatu to Wakefield - 1.5 to 3 hours
- Wakefield to Richmond - 1 to 2 hours
- Woodstock to Wakefield- 1.5 to 3 hours